Facebook event page
VIVO Media Arts Centre
2625 Kaslo Street, Vancouver, British Columbia V5M 3G9
Blackmagic Camera & Colour Correction Basics
Learn how to create beautiful videos with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and its colour correction software in this comprehensive introduction by cinematographers Felix Oltean and Devan Scott!
Two sessions, 9 hours total | $70, or $58 with VIVO Extended Producer Membership (+GST)
Session 1: Saturday Aug 26, 1pm-5:30pm
Session 2: Saturday Sep 2, 1pm-5:30pm
Sign up on Eventbrite – blackmagic_colourcorrection.eventbrite.ca
Or email us at [email protected]
or call 604-872-8337
This workshop covers The Blackmagic Cinema Camera, one of VIVO's most extraordinary production tools, as well as its free colour correction software, Davinci Resolve. Shooting in uncompressed formats, this highly portable camera and its powerful software form a dynamic duo for independents looking to produce their best work! Learn how to use them through practical demonstrations and hands-on exercises, using footage you shoot and colour correct over two sessions.
Session 1, the 2.5k Blackmagic Cinema Camera. Topics covered:
• Camera theory, including ISO, f-stops and depth of field, white balance, dynamic range, shutter speeds, codecs, frame rates, and raw vs. compressed shooting
• The camera’s extensive menu
• Maximizing image quality
• Using interchangeable lenses
• Best practices and techniques for using the camera and performing simple camera movements
Session 2, Davinci Resolve colour correction software. Topics covered:
• Workflow, including efficient file management, importing footage from other editing programs to DaVinci Resolve, and conforming timelines
• Colour theory & IRE levels
• Primary & secondary correction, including contrast, HSL keys, and power windows
• Curve Editor
• Motion tracking
• RAW imaging theory & processing
• How to read waveforms and scopes
• Grading VS correction
• Matching footage of various quality, shot on multiple cameras
• Styles — how to give your footage various “looks”
Participants may also bring their own footage, shot outside of class time, for the purpose of colour correcting exercises during the second session.
Want access to discounts?
Sign up to for an Extended Producer Membership:
Or redeem your the Video Bucks you earned by volunteering:
Felix Oltean is a cinematographer, colorist, and producer. He worked several years as a journalism videographer for CTV, and is currently transitioning his skills towards video post-production. He’s a graduate of SFU’s School for the Contemporary Arts film production program, as well as a graduate of SAIT Polytechnic’s Cinema, Television, Stage and Radio program with a diploma in film production as well. Felix is also one of VIVO’s super volunteers! See samples of his work at felixoltean.com
Devan Scott’s passion for visual storytelling inspired him to co-found Sad Hill Media, and has led to a portfolio of work as a director, cinematographer, and colourist that has been growing ever since. His work as a writer, director, cinematographer, and colourist has given him a comprehensive and reliable understanding of the creative decision-making involved throughout the production process. To see his portfolio, visit sadhillmedia.com
Refunds: Class sizes are small, and our instructors need to be paid–if you can’t make a class that you’ve signed up for, we need time to alert wait-listed participants. VIVO presently asks that withdrawals from workshops be requested by emailing [email protected]
at least 12 days prior to the workshop date, if you would like to receive a refund minus a $5 administration fee. Thanks!